February 19, 2009

Babies In Beauty Pageants

Last night I watched two shows about little tiny girls in Beauty Pageants. Wow. I know what you are thinking. I watch too much TV. I really do. Especially in the winter when it is too cold to go outside and do anything productive. Anyway, I was watching these shows and two things kept going through my mind.

1) How do they get 3 and 4 year olds to DO those things? My daughter (who is 3) would be running all over the stage asking the other girls if they had any candy. Then she would probably skip to the front of the runway when they called her name, fart loudly, giggle and run away. If we were lucky we would get an *Excuse me* out of her, but it would depend on the time of day and if anyone had procured any candy for her, yet.

2) What the hell is wrong with these parents? Some of them spend thousands and thousands of dollars just on CLOTHES for these beauty contests. One mom even admitted her husband would rather she put that money into an account where it could accrue interest for her daughter's education (gasp!) and she disagreed. Another mom stated that parent's who thought Pageant Parents were doing something wrong had ugly kids. Are you freaking serious? And why do all of these parents have southern accents and bleach blonde hair?

I don't pretend to understand anything about these types of settings. I can't understand wanting my small child to dress like a prostitute and flirt with a weird man singing out-dated love songs to all the contestants who are wearing fake teeth and (sometimes) fake hair. I can't relate to parents who think beauty pageants are a way to teach their kids about *real life.* I don't want my daughter to think her worth to me depends on how cute she is, how well she can sing or dance, or how tan she is.

I would like her to quit farting and burping loudly in public, though. So if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your posts Becqui. I watch terrible tv too sometimes. Justin cringes when I watch "The Real Housewives of Orange County," but it is like a trainwreck (cannot peel my eyes from the screen). I cannot imagine people living that way. I will have to watch this beauty pageant show, at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment here, but it did not work. Argh... Anyway, I'm enjoying your posts. Keep it up. I love crap tv, but have never seen this show. Have you ever seen the Real Housewives of OC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! Mike hates those kinds of shows, too and always wonders why I watch them. But, like you said: It's hard to peel your eyes from the screen!

    ReplyDelete